Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pop Music

So, I'm a little flummoxed. I listen to 89X, and basically nothing else. Pop music is by no means my thing, and it never has been, but I never really had a problem with it. Nice, upbeat dance music, R&B, I get it. Fun, right? Well, in the past few years, where I've been ignoring pop music, it has gotten awful.

There's not a single song on the charts that you can even claim came from a BAND. It's all R&B and solo pop stars, like Lady Gaga. Now, I do actually like the odd song here and there. I even like some that could be considered rap, which goes against everything I know about myself. However, for every song I actually enjoy, there are two dozen insipid, barely listenable songs that either sample other songs to death or flat out steal the beats and lyrics. Those who don't steal them are formulaic and empty. It hurts to even listen to.

You can call me old fashioned or whatever, but I like a song with MUSIC. Like, something that's made with instruments, and a band. I don't dislike the computer generated music in its entirety, but when they've literally taken over the entire Top 100, I get sad. Come on, guys... don't you miss rock? I just don't think that the alternative station should be the only place I can listen to rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment